Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Stampede

For several years, our family visited the Galacs in Calgary. Thelma is my mom’s cousin. Willie worked for the oil company up there for years. Uncle Willie and Aunt Thelma raised two wonderful daughters Marga and Cinda while in Calgary.

The Calgary Stampede is an amazing event spanning just under two weeks every July. If you have never been, you should consider going. The pageantry of the west comes alive with shows from the North American Natives, cowboys, rides, concerts, rodeos, and my all time favorite, Chuck Wagon races. I have never taken the kids or the wife, but I still have it on my list of to-dos.

The thrills and excitement we shared influenced friends to attend with us. The Lee Family and the Stark Family went with us. We had great times because our parents were all close, and the kids got along as well (reference “Pea Shooters,” August 25, 2007).

Driving to and from Calgary is a two, long-day trip directly, but we extended the adventure to include Lake Louise and Banff. The Canadian Rockies are some of the most spectacular you will ever see, and the drive up to Jasper runs right along the Columbia Glacier ice-field. The Columbia Glacier is the only place in the world where the melting run off feeds three different oceans! You can walk right out on it from the highway or take a tour “trak” ride in a sno-cat to get further up the glacier.

Outside of Yellowstone the highways of Revelstoke to Banff, and up to Jasper have the most free-roaming animals I have ever seen. Bears, elk, and moose were abundant on those trips. We never seemed to be in a hurry. It was probably the most relaxing vacations my father had.

We all learned to set up and break camp. We took lots of pictures of the animals and learned to appreciate the beauties of the wild. I have never been to Alaska but having seen this area of the world I have never felt I missed out on what I have envisioned Alaska to be.

Dad brought this to his family and friends. We enjoyed the closeness of friends and family; the wonders of nature. Fortunately for us, the Galac family was there to take us all in. I have included a picture from either our first or second trip to Calgary – maybe one of you know which one it was. Even without the picture I remembered the hats and boots. Willie didn’t have a boy until later in life, so I imagine Greg and I were his surrogate sons.


- Craig

1 comment:

Bob and Cinda said...

Judging from the size of you guys I am guessing this is the first trip up. Look at those cowboys. Remember the getting up at the crack of dawn to go downtown, the long wait for the parade to start along with 25,000 of your closest new friends. I think that trip was the one your folks brought us an electric icecream maker, ending the era of you must churn to earn icecream rule in our house.