Sunday, September 23, 2007

Moustaches

My father and I have moustaches – at least my father had one once. I have had a moustache since I could really grow one in my college days. I also have had a couple of beards – full and goatees. I keep thinking I will shave my moustache off permanently now that it is “blonder” than my occasionally touched up colored hair.

I have only shaved my moustache three times since I have been married – which is within a week of 25 years. The first time I shaved it was in our very first years of marriage. When asked how she liked it, Julie responded “I married a man, not a boy. Maybe I am just used to having it.” I grew it back immediately.

The second time I shaved it off, I got a cat. Julie had been to the local second hand store looking for the final touches of our Halloween costumes when she spied a box of “free” kittens. She dragged me back to the store where we picked out Willie. But the Halloween party would be an all-nighter, so we dropped Willie off with Mom. It was a great test for future babysitting duties. Julie and I were clowns and with the face paint it only made sense to shave the moustache. I grew it back immediately after the previous comment.


When Amanda was 5 months old I shaved it for Halloween again. When I picked her up after work - she cried. Obviously she didn't recognized me. I have never shaved it since – about 19 years.

I don’t know the year Dad had his moustache, but I know I was young – probably 4 or so. Dad was working in Huntsville while Mom, Greg and I lived in Renton. He didn’t get to come home often and usually didn’t stay long.

One time he showed up with a moustache and he was going to be here for a while. Mom said something to the effect – “you’re not sleeping in my bed until you shave that off.” One morning at breakfast Dad had shaved his moustache. I laughed quietly but Dad noticed and asked “what are you laughing at?” “Nothing.” I didn’t know the details, but I knew Mom had won.

- Craig

No comments: