Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Halloween


All Hallows Eve” was a special night for the kids. My friend Mark S. would take a pillow case. Long after everyone else had quit, Mark continued. I never saw a kid with so much candy.

When you are young you really don’t have any idea about “Trick or Treat.” Some parents bring their one-year-olds dressed in pajamas with ears. Are they a teddy bear or a rabbit? I know the candy went to their father.

My dad liked Heath Bars. I hated them. Fortunately I don’t ever recall getting Heath Bars for Halloween. We did get Butterfingers. My mother liked those and Almond Joys. I wasn’t a fan of Almond Joys or Mounds, so mom got those. I don’t think dad ever raided our candy, but I am pretty sure mom did. I know Julie and I raided our kids' when they forgot they still had some left – usually by Thanksgiving.

When you got a little older, your mom would make or buy your costume. Regardless, it seems you got a new costume every year. You never wore the same one twice. It is almost like a bridesmaid’s dress. Some one picks it out, and you wear it once. There are not a lot of places to wear a bridesmaid’s dress after the wedding, and unless you had a Batman or Superman costume, there really wasn’t a place to wear your costume after Halloween.

When my daughter was little, she wore her dance costume from the recital held the previous spring. If we were really lucky – Chad could wear it a couple of years later – like the Tigger costume when Amanda’s dance recital song was “The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers” from Winnie the Pooh.

Most frequently Chad got to wear his youngest uncle’s hand-me-down costumes. The “Hobo Clown” was a favorite.

In 1962 when I was five, and my brother Greg had just turned three, my mother made our costumes. A simple sheet with holes cut out for eyes and we were “ghosts.” But Greg was afraid of ghosts. He insisted on being a happy ghost. Mom got out her bright red lipstick, and Greg became a “happy ghost” or a “clown ghost.” SCARY!

Dad would pull one of mom’s nylon’s over his head and dragged us around the neighborhood. He looked like a mugger.


- Craig



1 comment:

Bob and Cinda said...

Greg always did have a definite sense of style. His own to be sure. I remember his "fashion of the summer" perhaps 1963 or so. We were visiting your family in Renton. My sister and I were going to be taken to Bon Marche to shop for school clothes. Much to your Mom's distress, Greg would not go unless he could wear the army shorts and helmet. A lovely site to behold. He wore them I believe each day that we were there. Fashion follows function. Hugs Cinda