Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Cowboy Boots

Even today my feet are like tree roots. They are narrow and pointed. Cowboy boots fit best, and while some may disagree, they are not suitable for “all occasions.” For instance I can’t wear them to the beach with a swimsuit or shorts. It might work well for some, but hanging out at the seashore, or around the pool on a lounge chair with the little umbrella drinks doesn’t make sense when half your calves are covered by boots. I don’t know which is worse – the cowboy boots or shorts and sandals with black socks. You are welcome to your opinion, but mine is “one is very bad and the other is worse.

Plus cowboy boots are simply expensive. You need several pairs. “Shit kickers” are required for mucking stalls, or mowing the lawn. Shiny black patent-leather boots are the only kind you can wear with a tuxedo or suit. Generally a good boot in brown smooth leather is necessary for the swanky casual look – bar hopping and dates with the cowgirls. It is important to have a suede look when you are wearing a sport coat.

A man should never buy cowboy boots in red, pink or white unless they are “James Brown” or wearing a flamboyant jumpsuit. Navy blue can work with the right attire.

For years my dad wanted to wear cowboy boots to work. It really didn’t fit with Boeing’s Seattle style, but might have worked well in Wichita. Dad wore the classic “wingtips.” Some people think my father’s “gait” was due to having polio as a child, but I know it was wearing wingtips all those years.

At some point either the dress code relaxed, or Dad just “set the style,” but Dad started wearing cowboy boots to work. He looked good in them. When only your boss is wearing cowboy boots it sets a certain tone. I have never really wanted find out the true meaning of “put my boot where the sun don’t shine.

At Dad’s retirement party several of the speakers mentioned the cowboy boots. I told this story (roughly – and not a true story, but it was perfect for a retirement party):

“When Boeing relaxed the dress code, my father stopped on the way home and bought a new pair of cowboy boots. He proudly wore them into the house that day, and he asked my mother if she noticed anything different. She politely replied ‘no.’ So he marched to the bedroom and stripped off all of his clothing except the cowboy boots. He said to my mom ‘notice anything different?’ ‘No, it’s still hanging there,’ she replied. ‘Jo – I am pointing at my new cowboy boots!’ ‘Oh – too bad you didn’t buy a cowboy hat.’”

Dad – do you remember how hard Grandma Vesta was laughing? I have never seen her laugh so hard!

- Craig

No comments: