Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Parallel Parking

My father used to take me to downtown Kent to practice parallel parking. It is typically one of the hardest “driving test” requirements. Many people fail this part of the test – and I wasn’t going to be one of them.

Saturdays were usually the day of choice. Dad could take me - and traffic was usually light. Why is it that most mothers want fathers or an older brother to teach driving? Do kids really make mothers that nervous?

I don’t know if dad was ever really nervous with our driving. It just seems that fathers take their children parallel parking, on their first freeway “merge.” The problem with this line of thinking is the father or older brother is usually the one to show the “learner” how fast the car really goes, how to spot the cops with their noses sticking out from behind the trees up ahead, and what to say when you get pulled over. Sometimes I will let out a "shriek" and jam my foot to the floor. I might even say “what the hell are you thinking?!” When either or both of my kids go “What? WHAT!!?” (with panic in their voices). I say “oh – did I say that out loud? I was thinking about what your mother might do right then… just keep driving – you are doing fine.” I get varied responses between Amanda and Chad – everything from “don’t do that you scared the crap out of me” to “a-hole!” No kidding – I got the exact reaction I was looking for. It was exactly the point of me doing it. It keeps their awareness level high – shock therapy. One of the lessons a father might teach their kids is how their mothers might react the first time Mom is in the passenger seat.

I have taken lots of rides with my children behind the wheel. We start off slow. I hand them the keys, or flip them to them. At this point I say “think about what you are about to do.” They look at me for a second, and I follow up with “that’s your first lesson, tomorrow we can go sit in the car.” I try not to laugh, and then I let them off the hook.

I grew up near SeaTac airport. At one time, the city of Kent was a valley community isolated by the farm lands of vegetables, flowers and the occasional Boeing Aerospace center. Really! Mostly the valley was small family owned farms – and yes, Boeing had a fairly large plant on the way to Kent from our house. Of course over time, the valley filled with light industrial, warehouses and distribution centers sparsely interspersed with the occasional lunchtime only deli, quickie mart or gas station.

Kent was the target for parallel parking. Over the course of several Saturdays and the rare Sunday afternoon – combined with my father’s patience – I became an expert in parallel parking. I still couldn’t drive a stick worth crap (the Capri), but I could squeeze the station wagon into space only a VW bug would tackle – at least that’s the way I would like to remember it.

I took my driving test in the red ’64 Dodge Dart station wagon. It had the push button transmission on the left side of the steering wheel. Push “D” or “R” to move; “P” to park and it had a slide lever you pulled down to lock the buttons. It also had “1,” “2,” and “N”. I have them on my Acura as well plus 3, 4, and 5, but I have relabeled them with the maximum downshift speed at which I can use those gears “62” and “88” have replace the “2” and “3” from the old transmissions. I never have found a need to re-label “fourth” to 105. It seems like I never have to downshift to pass at that speed.

But the old red Dart was reliable and easy to drive. I took my test at the “Renton DMV” located on the backside of Highlands Elementary on Edmonds Ave. The first part of the drive consisted of backing around a corner keeping the car within 12 or 18 inches from the curb – passed! No sweat!

“Pull around to the back side of the facility and we will parallel park” barked the DMV “officer” intent on failing his third student of day. I honestly think they enjoy seeing "tears." Cool – I thought I would have to hunt for a spot! Nope! They have one all set up!

“What’s that?” I said to myself… I hope I don’t have to park there!

Much to my horror there were no cars – just four 4-foot high fluorescent orange tubes on stands! “Ready?” the officer questioned. “Yup.” This was easily twice as big as the “bug sized” spots my father had taught me with in Kent.

My first attempt was “curbed.” Out of the corner of the eye I see him write something on the clipboard. He said “wanna try again?” “Hell yes!" was the reply.

I hit the curb again, and he jotted quickly on the clipboard again “How many points did you take off?” I asked. He said “four points each time you missed – eight total.

"What?" “Wanna try again?” he asked. “Nope.”


Failed parallel parking, but passed with an 82.

- Craig

2 comments:

Mama said...

Parallel parking is the only part of the test I missed. I wasn't asked if I wanted to do it again, I asked if I could and was told no.
I remember Sydnee was so nervous about the parallel parking part and she pulled the car in just fine, but when she pulled back out, she hit the cone. She said she knew it would hit too and did it anyway. I guess she needed to fail that part.
Be Free,
Lorri

Unknown said...

Driving. Duane and I had it good, as in the G.O.D. That's Good Old Days, when every farm and farm town kid started with tractors and then trucks as soon as they could see over the steering wheel. I had it even better, (or worse,considering the reason) since my Dad had MS and could not drive by the time I was 10. I was even driving GMC trucks out from St.Paul at 12 or 13. On one trip where we needed to bring out 4 trucks, Homer Stout went with me. The state and fed guys in North Dakota and Montana had to hold us for a few hours while they verified that Wyoming had no such thing as commercial licenses in those days.

I remember Duane and Dwight having a very classy 30-something Chevy coupe, and later a Dodge or Plymouth sedan which we sometimes used to go skiing at Sleeping Giant near Shoshoni Lodge. Trivia: It was originally called Red Star Lodge, because they used a recycled painted over Texaco sign out on the highway. That ended during the "cold war" because "red star" became a naughty commie word. And I remember Duane's green DeSoto. I was the designated return driver when Duane was going to Billings for eye work. One night we collected a Black Angus on the way home. I think Duane was driving, but he will insist I was driving. In any case, the flip-up headlights no longer flipped, and the Angus was permanently flopped.

My wheels were mostly trade-ins or shop trucks, but Duane will certainly remember the Packard. We had never had a new car, but Morrie Knudson mistakenly ordered a Packard Super 2-door. Most of his John Deere customers (Craig, you might find it strange that the John Deere dealer was also the Packard dealer, but that was Powell in the G.O.D.) In the meantime, we had a farmer who ordered a 2 1/2-ton GMC, appropriate for the loads most farmers carried. Mostly they bought 1 1/2 tonners and overloaded them. When I brought the 2 1/2 in from St. Paul, he backed out and bought a 1 1/2, and to add insult to injury, he bought a Chevy from Rooneys. And Morrie could not sell the faster and sleeker Packard. All the farmers were buying standard 4-door models. So we traded the GMC for the Packard. First new car in Elder history. Duane will remember some rapid runs in that car, including a probably record time from Fishing Bridge, where we were visiting Denny, back to Powell.

Then there were the convertibles, and Marge Clure. And Clel Wynn. Later.

Hope this brings back some good memories, Duane.