Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Hawaii

I have only been to Hawaii once. My parents have been there several times, but unlike the “rich kids” whose parents took them – mine never did. No – I am not upset by that as they have offered to take us. I really don’t think most parents took their high school students to Hawaii. Parents were usually planning “college money” or they were on their “second honeymoon.” Most parents don’t want their teenage daughters wearing what daughters wear – on a beach in Hawaii… And, you certainly can’t take teenage boys – you’d never leave the beach to see the other sights.

Mom and Dad’s first Hawaiian vacation was probably marvelous. I really don’t remember any thing about it except Greg and I got our first Hawaiian shirts – I own about 10 now – and if it is only 7, then Julie and the kids have gift ideas for Christmas and Birthdays. I love the style and the comfort, plus while I am writing this blog I am in Hollywood Florida at a 4-star beach hotel… everyone wears Hawaiian style shirts so I tell them mine are “Jamaican.”


Grandma Vesta came to stay with us while Mom and Dad were in Hawaii. I think we were pretty good. At least she didn’t get stitches like some of our babysitters (I can see another blog coming!).


I have to say one thing about that first trip. Many couples purchase matching “wear” while they are touring the islands. Mom and Dad had good taste! I love the colors and the pattern! I wonder what ever happened to those outfits as I never saw them after they returned home.

Mom and Dad went to Hawaii with Ray and Mary a couple of times too. They are great long term friends. I think they have fun with each other and the pictures seem to indicate as much. Making reed baskets, tours to the beach, the submarine ride, the sailboat to Lanai (pronounced LA-nigh-EE). I guess I never pronounced the islands correctly because people kept correcting me on my trip. They said “Hey HOWL-EE, its MO-LA-KI-EE! (As opposed to MO-LA-KI). Whenever I look at some of the fish names, and the cities I want to say “can I by a consonant?

I know my parents had fun with Ray and Mary they always came home friends – plus my hard-drive is full of pictures of that yellow and blue fish…

- Craig

No comments: