Sunday, December 2, 2007

Food

I like to watch the Food Network. I don't really care for Emeril Live!, but I enjoy Rachel Ray and Giada. I even fancy myself as a pretty good cook - a Chef wannabe.

I will eat pretty much anything, and try others. I am not a big fish fan. Sushi - raw seafood - is not on my list unless I am hungry. I love meat although I could easily go vegetarian - lacto-ova versus vegan. Julie said "no."

Mom says I used to like Mac 'n Cheese. Actually I loved it! But after a while you can only eat so much. Seldom do I eat the plate of beans and cornbread - but I bought 50 pounds of dried beans last week in Wyoming. Julie makes her own refried beans because a lot of the canned stuff has so much fat and salt - lard is a no-no at my house. Some if not most of the dried beans will be donated to the local Hispanic Mission to feed migrant farm workers in the spring.

Mom says we quit eating Mac 'n Cheese when one evening Dad said "yuck!" I don't remember that - but I guess it is another of the many valuable lessons I have learned from Dad.


I don't eat peanut butter because it seems peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is all I ever got for lunch - Welch's Grape Jelly to be specific. Dad loves peanut butter on his toast. So does my son Chad who taught Dad to put it on his waffles with a little maple syrup.

Lunch at Great Grandparents

Clockwise - Left to Right: Great Grandma, Mom, Uncle Jack, Great Grandpa,

Grandma Vesta's head, Grandma Irma, Aunt Martha and ME!

There are times when I felt too sick to eat - but it is a rarity. I simply love food. Dad does too. Since the Friday after Thanksgiving Dad hasn't eaten much. He says he isn't hungry. In fact - other than some Ensure he hadn't eaten anything for a week. I guess he wasn't a big fan of the mashed broccoli and tofu casserole he ate on his pH diet. I ate it, but it didn't look that good.

Food smells good, but there isn't much taste. Today he ate! He ate a couple bites of scrambled eggs, a couple of toast, a bite of a muffin and drank his juice for breakfast. For dinner he ate his pudding, and about a quarter of his sandwich and another juice. He told Greg he just wasn't hungry.

Thanks for the lesson on the Mac 'n Cheese Dad - and keep eating!


- Craig

1 comment:

Denny said...

In 1956 there were 5 to 6 newly married couples from Powell, Wyo living in Laramie, Wyo going to the Univ. of Wyoming. JoAnn & Duane Edmonds, Greg & Carol Gibson, Jane & Jim Daley, Janet & Bob Burnet, Janet & Denny Smith were a few of them. We all would meet at one of our homes and play bridge, drink tons of coffee and a few would smoke. One Sat night we met at Janet & Denny Smith's place for bridge. Janet (new bride) made pumkin pie with whip cream on top. After she served it -- Duane looked at Jim and said the whip cream is sure good. Janet Burnett told Janet Smith she forgot to use sweetened can milk since there was no sugar in the recipie. Everyone had a good laugh and to this day -- some people still ask Janet if she has made any pumkin pie lately.