Friday, November 30, 2007

Honors

Today is my mother's 74th Birthday. And, while this blog is about my memories of Dad - I just wanted to give a shout out to Mom - Happy Birthday! - You've made the Internet! Mom, Jackie(aunt), Norma (sister), and Donna (cousin) have a "girls lunch out" for Mom's Birthday. My Uncle John and my cousin John(ny) are staying with Dad. Have Fun!

Now - on to the blog.

Dad has received many honors and recognition over his lifetime. This week members of the Wyoming State Board of Education presented him with the Governor's Proclamation of November 16, 2007, honoring Dad's "life work."

http://governor.wy.gov/proclamations/duane-edmonds.html

I want to point out a couple of items of note. While my father has spent many hours related to "education" and "helping young people" this was not his life's work. I have thought about this a lot. His career was as an engineer, manager, executive. His life's work was helping people.

This shows through in the Proclamation, but I wanted to express it directly. Dad willing helps everyone and anyone.

As I stated earlier Dad has received many honors, awards, and recognition of thanks or a job well-done. Many are stacked or stored, and some may have been discarded for all I know.

I have never seen his high school or college diplomas. While they are important - and Dad is a strong believer in education - one award my Dad is proud of and he kept it for many many years. While it is not displayed on a wall, it is one he took the time to scan into his computer - to digitally capture for posterity. It is his Future Farmers of America "Degree of American Farmer" awarded on October 9, 1951.


One award I believe however is Dad's favorite. While I cannot remember exactly when he received it - he kept it for many many years also. The engraved plaque is proudly displayed on the wall of the atrium and is textually redisplayed here:


"World's Greatest Dad"
Craig          Gregory
April 3, 1957     October 14, 1959

- Craig

No comments: