Sunday, March 16, 2008

Closing Doors


Sometimes my brother and I fought – physically. Those of you who know us may find that hard to believe. Usually the fight started with something small. Playing one-on-one football in our side yard resulted in an extra shove or two – more than once.

Greg kicked me in the crotch and the chase was on. He was a fast fellow and he was pulling away toward the upper driveway, but my leap onto the rock wall short cut several feet. Greg swung open the screen door deftly passed through the main entry and slammed the door closed – just as I crashed into it, my right foot going cleanly into the hollow wood door. I would be in serious trouble with Dad. Not so much for fighting, but definitely for the outcome – the purchase of a new door. (I liked the looks of the new one better anyway).

When God called my dad he closed the door on his physical life. It closed a door for all us and of our physical relationship with Dad. Easter reminds me that closing a door opens another.

In a movie yesterday, a woman spoke of losing her mother as a small girl. In the movie she recalled how her dad walked her outside and pointed to the stars in the sky. He said something profound and fitting both for Easter and for the passing of my dad. “Whenever God closes a door, he opens a window to heaven.”


- Craig

No comments: