Sunday, March 30, 2008

Concrete


I became an expert pouring concrete. While I can’t make my living at it, I’ve poured a lot.

I remember helping build forms for the foundation of the cabin. This was my first exposure… digging, nailing, leveling… all of the skills of carpentry and child slavery. It was early ’62. I was five.

Packing to remove air as you pour.

I’ve poured what seemed like miles of concrete around the edges of the lawn. Dad said it would keep the grass out of the flower beds and make it easier to mow and edge – most of which benefited everyone but him. Mom weeded with Greg and I helped. Dad mowed occasionally, so the benefit truly was a lesson for the boys.

At my home in Kent I learned to poured exposed aggregate – my father in-law taught me that – 3/8ths plus or minus, gently floated between the leveled forms I had built – a walkway from the front through an arbor covered arch to the deck I built.

The slab for the shed in Seatac, the curbing under the chain link fencing Dad taught me to stretch between cemented metal poles.

I expanded the width of my current driveway with Dad’s help one day when we poured the slab for the dog kennel Jake used for about a week. We just couldn’t see fit to leave him alone outside. That was eleven years ago.

I have a newer walkway poured with forms to look like a stone pathway. It also runs through an arbor gate.

Dad taught me so many life skills. I miss him.

- Craig

1 comment:

Mama said...

Thankfully you have all these wonderful memories of him.

Where do you want to go for dinner on Wednesday? Casa Mia?

Lorri