Thursday, February 28, 2008

In Her Shoes

In Her Shoes” (2005) starring Cameron Diaz, Toni Collette and Shirley MacLaine is a story of sisters who each find their own way in life through differing avenues. They “come together” after reuniting with their estranged grandmother. One interesting scene has the sisters recalling memories of their mother – with grandma. While they shared a single memory their views of the memory were quite different.

When they got a dog, why their parents fought, how their mother died… all from two different sides of the same coin.

I have learned this in writing the blog too. Ham versus Meatloaf; how old we were when one event or another happened… Dad said “remember when you put the truck into the ditch when you and Clay were cutting firewood?” Although I didn’t say it I thought - “No. I remember putting it in the ditch when I was doing something I wasn’t supposed to do…” It was a totally different dent when Clay and I were cutting firewood…J

Telling stories the weekend of Dad’s service I learned all of us – Jack, Rod, Greg, Julie, Amanda, Chad, and myself – and many others – all saw things a little differently. I am not sure we gained consensus on who’s perspective or memory was the correct version.

The really cool thing is that we – collectively – the whole family has found their way – found each other, reconnected after years, through the sharing of memories. While the reason we were together was not “a good thing” the time we spent together was special.

- Craig

No comments: