Thursday, January 31, 2008

Pride

I know my father was proud of both Greg and I. I don’t recall him saying it to us much directly, but everyone has told us “Your dad was so proud of his boys.” It is certainly good to know that – and is a lessoned learned – tell your children you are proud of them. Tell others you are proud of your children – especially if your kids can overhear.

Amanda had called to tell Julie and I she had passed the West B test (sp?) which was a requirement for entry into the school of education. She also said she was working on some scholarship applications (something I hope she gets!). She is continuing to do much better in college than I did – which makes me so proud.

Chad is an excellent student too, but two things I am most proud of right now is his faith and belief in God. Chad felt it was important to read Bible scripture to Dad on Christmas Eve just before he passed away. He sensed the importance of this to my father. It was an extremely difficult thing to do – as many if not most of us don’t read the Bible enough, let alone to some else – it is almost like “witnessing.” I am a poor witness to my faith and beliefs. Chad also had the courage to stand before 400 people and read scripture at Dad’s service. It was also extremely difficult to do and yet he did it with a professionalism Dad can certainly take pride in.

Dad was a speaker too. He joined Toastmasters when I was young in order to hone his skills. He would practice each of his speeches and as a pre-adolescent I would critique and count “ums,” and “ers.” I believe this was one skill my dad thought was important to his career.

I had a dream the night before last. There were three of us at the table, but my focus was on Dad. The conversation centered on Amanda passing the test and applying for scholarships and Chad reading scripture at the service. I expressed my pride and said “you would be proud of them too.

The conversation continued for a while longer (although I do not recall what we were talking about) and Dad had a big smile, gave a “humph” and laugh. He said “well you know that is not going to happen.” I wish I could remember what we were talking about at the time.

The curiosity of the situation was this. I was confused in my dream. Was I talking to Dad? I recall knowing at the time, the events we were discussing had occurred after he had passed away. Could I have been linked directly to Dad – now – through this dream?

Dad looked like the Dad I want to remember and for that, I am eternally grateful.

- Craig

No comments: