Wednesday, November 21, 2007

It Happened Again!!!

Today is Wednesday November 21st. I have been in Wyoming for a few days visiting Dad (and Mom) and have brought the whole family. It has been cold the last couple of days and we had snow in the flatlands. I imagine my Aunt Myrna has had snow "measured in feet" up in the mountains.

Monday however was a beautiful day. It was in the forties meaning it was perfect for working outside. Dad wanted some gnarly log rounds split and stacked for firewood (reference: "Cutting Wood," posted August 26, 2007). We rented a power log splitter - something I don't ever remember having as a kid. I used one once when Julie and I lived in Kent... If I cut my own wood I would own one of these - so much easier than a splitting maul and wedge!

Chad, Julie, and Mom all helped while Amanda made lunch for everyone. At one point a particularly tough log won the battle, snapping a pin on the hydraulic cylinder. I ran into Linton's Big R and got a tractor pin to replace it. Yea! We were back to work.

But the pin snapped again. This time it did not shear cleanly so it did not fall out. I had purchased one a little longer than the original. I rummaged in the garage for a metal chisel and a big hammer. I hit the chisel several times and the pin started to bend. Then it happened. I hit my hand – actually my thumb knuckle closest to the hand – full force. I threw the hammer and proceeded to dance around using choice words from my extended vocabulary (reference: “Hammers and Nails,” posted November 15, 2007).

Dad said “I’ll bet that hurt.” No kidding.

- Craig

No comments: