Monday, August 13, 2007

Shoot the Moon

A Christmas Story” shows very small, but almost reflective glimpses into my life as a young boy. Many differences can be noted too – for instance, my name is not Ralphie. I didn’t learn “that word” from my father either.

It was coming up on my birthday – it must have been my 9th, because I got my first watch for my 8th. I wanted the “official Red Ryder Carbine-Action two hundred shot range model air rifle!” Actually I asked for a BB gun. I think my mother was much like Ralphie’s – “Be careful or you’ll shoot your eye out.” She might have even had a similar conversation with my dad, with dad responding to the effect “he’s a boy!

If you’ve ever seen the movie you know exactly what I mean.

After a brief training lesson on how to load the BBs I was set loose into the back yard. There might have been more to the training such as “don’t point that thing at anybody, etc., or else!” but I don’t recall that much.

Although Ralphie had this imaginary gang of villains, I only had my brother. I know you think you know what is coming next, but no – I never shot my brother in the back. I did let him try out the gun though. We would stroll the back yard shooting at things in the garden – particularly cans.

Within a few weeks, and maybe within a day or two, my brother and I were in the back yard shooting "the gun." Vern or Ronnie might have been there too. The moon was full and clearly visible in the day light; big, round, white – an easy target. That day I was particularly selfish – I was a big shot.

Greg (but it could easily have been Vern) urged me to shoot the moon. Showing off is a good way to get you in trouble.


That night while sitting around the dinner table, my father asked “what did you boys do today?” Greg piped right up, “Craig was shooting the moon with his BB gun.” My dad said “what?” Actually it was more like “WHAT?!” The look which came over his face when he said “What did I tell you…!?” was one I’d see many times over many years (reference “Wait Until Your Father Gets Home”).

I don’t remember exactly what my punishment was after the quipped reply “don’t point that thing at anybody. You never said don’t shoot the moon.

- Craig

No comments: