Monday, August 27, 2007

Sheds

I have absolutely no idea what year we built the shed at our house in SeaTac. We positioned it where the rabbit hutch had been. The shed was huge. Building the shed utilized most of the skills I had learned from my father while working on the cabin.

We build a form for the concrete slab, erected the walls, doors, and a light entering fiberglass roof (just like the outhouse at the cabin!). Inside were shelves and hooks. The ceiling was at least ten feet high. I actually think the shed was bigger than my room!

Dad and I put a skylight into the shed I have in Puyallup. I had the pleasure of shingling that roof as well. It leaks.

The entire family went to Wyoming in the summer of 2006 to celebrate Mom & Dad’s 50th wedding anniversary. A great time was had by all. Fishing, horseback riding, bocce ball and shed building…

Dad had bought a metal shed at a charity auction. He built a wooden base for the shed, but waited for his boys to “put it up.” I don’t know about you all as readers of this blog, but putting up a metal shed in 105 degree heat is not my idea of fun. Greg and I may dispute this to some extent, but my son will have claimed to do most of the work. If nothing else, he will claim he read the instructions. As such, Chad says the shed was completed in half the time it would have taken if Greg, Dad and I been left to our own devices.

So I have been a party to building three sheds. I look forward to helping Chad and Amanda build theirs some day using the skills I learned from my father.

- Craig

No comments: