Friday, August 17, 2007

Laughter is the Best Medicine

This is a titled section from the Reader’s Digest magazine. My parents had a subscription for many years. I liked reading the short jokes, flipping through to the cartoons and reading the short humorous story section, “Laughter is the Best Medicine.” All were funny and I always believed most bore their origins in true events, whether it is in a doctor’s office, the bank, or an elementary school room.

Having an optimistic outlook can clearly have positive affects whether it be medicinal, or dealing with the mundane daily items we encounter; the person who thinks you are driving too slow in stop-n-go traffic (so they give you the “you’re number one” salute) to the salsa which drips down your dress shirt (when you don’t have a change of clothing) right before an important meeting. Some times you need to “smile” and just “move on.”

Mind over matter is a scientifically studied “theory” where people’s mental capabilities overcome the laws of physics. Time travel, levitation, and out-of-body experiences can all be classified as “mind over matter” in one sense or another.

I believe in all of these: “laughter” and “mind over matter.” My brother thought both of these together could overcome the power of “a good spanking.”

Being older, I tended to encourage my brother in a number of different things, and the influence an older sibling has, is actually quite incredible when the young sibling has limited “real world” experience. Spankings hurt and I knew that. However, while we were still young (8 and 5 respectfully) I encouraged and influenced my brother to test his theory.

I don’t recall what led up to Greg’s opportunity, but I clearly remember the results. Both of us were in trouble. It certainly wasn’t the kind where our punishment was a “stern talking to.” We were going to get spanked. We in fact, got spanked “n” times, plus “one” over the course of our younger years. We learned from those spankings. Specifically, if you started crying after the first swat, you didn’t get another one. One was enough to get the message – but it still hurt.

I bent over and grabbed my ankles and dad swatted me. I started crying. Greg bent over and got a swat, but to my delight and eventually his own horror, he laughed! “HA HA HA!” He said it with enthusiasm, the cogs of his brain trying to latch and twist and turn, dealing with the pain. “Mind over matter” was the signal he was looking for, but instead, he got another swat. “HA, Ha…” he stated less enthusiastically this time; trying gallantly to hold back the tears.

At this point I turned my encouragement toward my father. “He thinks it won’t hurt if he laughs” I said through tearful whimpering. My father looked at me and said “What?

Swat.ha…” Greg said before the tears started flowing. Laughter is not always the best medicine. Some times medicine tastes bad. Laughter doesn’t make it taste better… (smiley face).


-Craig

1 comment:

Mama said...

I remember the time I laughed when I got swat. My mom had spanked my older brother and then my sister. I was third and I laughed because it really didn't hurt physically. So, my mom started over with my older brother and then my sister. I cried this second time around because I knew the "trouble" I would recieve from my siblings was really going to hurt.

Be Free,
Lorri