Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Once in a Lifetime

There exists snippets … etched into the fabric of time .... scripted by a power with perfect timing … that know no bounds, … to be remembered and cherished ...

While I use this quote from the “Golden Buddha” by Clive Cussler and Craig Dirgio (The Berkley Group by arrangement with Sandecker, RLLLP, 2003) without permission, I do so with great respect for both the author and the content.

These particular words speak to me. They remind me of my father – a once in a lifetime person.

The question begs to be asked. What are the once in a lifetime events we experience? We might remember our first kiss or our first true love. I don’t remember either of these. I don’t recall my first dog Butch – other than by name and breed.

I do remember snippets of my wedding day or particular vacations. I would say many are even etched and scripted.

I remember the birth of my children and the first time my father held them in the hospital. I can feel the joy dad felt when each of them was born, a granddaughter, a grandson, and three more granddaughters. Each held a special place and he talked proudly about all of their achievements.

The difficult portion of the quote is “with perfect timing.” Are these memories of events perfectly timed? I think so. I believe each of the events in our lives occur for a reason, and are perfectly timed. Whether we like it or not, we get what we need when we need it – scripted by a higher power.

Dad said he would make it to Christmas and he did – etched into the fabric of time, scripted by a power with perfect timing, to be remembered and cherished.

- Craig

No comments: